Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Rachel+H+R07

I found this excerpt to be particularly amusing as I often wonder about the effectiveness of those damn crossing signs. Now knowing that they rarely work I find myself naturally wondering how much each one of those devices costs and where that money could have been better spent. The crossing lights are just another useless piece of technology that clutters and complicates our lives while offering little or no benefits. I've been at the corner with those antsy people who push the button 7 times because they think it will make the “walk” sign come faster and I just think to myself, eventually it will change so we all just need to calm down. I think whoever came up with this clever gimmick is pretty smart, it gives people peace of mind that they are doing everything they can to get to their destination as quickly as possible which is the end goal.

As for the security system sticker being as effective as the armed system, I can see that being true although I don't know much about it, but if I were a robber and was going to break into a house that had a sticker on the window I know I would think twice, why take the chance. The color coded security warnings seem kind of like a joke to me because regardless of what they say we still have to live our lives. What is the criteria for each classification? How is this judged? Seems to me that the system just makes the paranoid even more fearful.

No comments:

Post a Comment