Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Kate+D+R06

I just realized that my posts of readings 6 & 7 never successfully posted so i'm re-posting them now.

The topic of arrows is interesting because of their common use in charts and graphs. The positioning and direction of arrows can tell you more than 5 pages of writing can. The chart that showed the different art movements and their connection was particularly interesting in its use of the arrow to show how the movements relate to each other. So many types of graphs and charts that are used in everyday life include arrows as arrows are universally understood. I’m interested then in how I can apply arrows in my own graphing. In the sample made for class I ended up using an arrow as a temperature indicator and found that it read easier than a straight line. I like how graphs using arrows can still include several variables and have multiple layers while still including an ease of understanding. Barr’s art graph was incredibly interesting to read and surprisingly easy to follow even though it is so layered and includes a lot of information. It reads as both an informative piece as well as an art piece. Using this style of graphing allows the designer to include so many different types of information and join them in a variety of ways to appeal to the viewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment