Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Kate+D+R07

I found his reading to be interesting because of the author’s use of humor. I have always had some question about those little walk buttons and if they actually do anything at all as I have friends who are die-hard button pushers but I myself am skeptical. The point raised in the article of buttons functioning merely as therapy for the overanxious was funny as well as alarming to the current trends of instant gratification. “The light will change soon, I pushed the button” is something I have actually heard before from a random pedestrian. No one likes to wait for what they want rather it be crossing the street, elevator doors closing or their delivery food to arrive. Now, skipping to the end of the article, the color-coded terrorism alerts have irked me for some time now because they offer no plan of action to their anxiety inducing “alert system”. All it does is make the average person worry a little more or a little less about walking out of the house every morning. What exactly does an “elevated” level even mean? How should we react? The least the government could do is offer some sort of action plan if they’re going to constantly bombard us with the possibility of getting attacked. It’s only fair. All in all this type of button pushing is just a way to get under our skin and humanizing everything around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment