Tuesday, June 14, 2011

JordanO_R08

Architectural rendering has an interesting place in my heart actually. Before I decided to go to school to become a Graphic designer and photographer I was to become an architect and attend the architecture school here at UWM. I loved playing around with Auto Cad and loved to build models and draw renderings. Naturally I loved to look at them as well. I was really fascinated in the area of stadium architecture as the other side of me was somewhat of a sport fanatic. I would hopefully some day design stadiums for great sports teams. I would spend hours upon hours looking at renderings of new stadiums to be coming in the future years and would marvel at the new editions as they would come out and greater and greater things were being added to these stadiums. When I found out that Miller Park was to be built I could hardly keep myself off of these websites and every time a new rendering would come out I would get more and more excited as to what I could expect. Of course this is all in the past for me and I have chosen a much different, but equally satisfying road. However I can see the relation to people fantasizing over what is to come or what could be possible.


I think especially in New York that this kind of excitement is necessary! After 9/11 that city was at an all time low, as we were as well as a Nation. New York is one of the most visited cities in the world and deserved to have it pride back. Something that could be built for New Yorkers and people from all over the country to stand behind would become a tremendous project and a great reason to be excited! This fantasy world may seem a little far-fetched and I might agree. The idea is though to get the people excited and build the city moral back up. When Al Qaida struck us down with the blow they made to New York City it hurt us deep. We soon all stood together and seemed to becoming out of this stronger as a nation. After a few years this starts to wear off and people go back to worrying about themselves once again. I think that is where these wonderful renderings play a crucial role. People can see what is to come, and what there is to be excited about and they can do this together. In the case of the 9/11 monuments there will always be remembrance of what happened in New York on that devastating day in September. As we move forward as a country we will stand behind this monument and this city, and will be reminded of this daily through these designs and the eventual monument. If there is something to get excited about why not get excited! It is good for our nation, and good for our economy and that is exactly what we need at this point in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment