Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Rachel+H+R09

I found the diagram for changing a tire to be pretty interesting. I've been stuck on the side of the road before with a flat and had to try and figure all of that out on my own. I'm not sure if this is considered a successful design or not but I got the point. Someone who has never had the experience of actually changing a tire firsthand perhaps would find this graphic to be confusing. A part that I remember having trouble with that is not clearly displayed in this diagram is the position of the car jack. The two little squares under the car that are used to represent the jack do not show its position very well. Does it go under the car in the middle? Or more towards the side of the flat? What is the jacks orientation in relation to the car? The arrow indicates that the jack as been turned sideways in the blown-up picture but it would be hard to decipher this if one was unfamiliar. Also, things that I've learned after the fact that are quite important are not stated in this chart. For instance, apparently it is important to tighten the lug nuts equally (not fully tightening one and then moving to the next but to tighten each a little at a time) starting on one side and then going in a star pattern around the wheel. Also the car needs to be lowered from the jack and then you need to fully tighten the lug nuts one more time with the tire on the ground so the wheel can't spin. Then you can drive away blissfully whistling. I would not trust this diagram for something as important as changing a flat tire. There are no words to supplement the pictures which I think would offer more clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment