Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Andrew+M+R10

First of all, I hate white body copy, especially on a computer screen, but at least he used a san-serif font, could have been 2px larger though; my eyes feel freshly hypnotized.

I definitely agree with the author when it comes to which museums a person is more likely to visit. I have been to the Chicago art museum several times but have never gone to the shed aquarium; I’ve even gone to the Adler planetarium, which takes you past the aquarium. This clearly shows how much more interested I am in art over sea life. I would further carry this trend to the U.S. National Park system. I’ve gone to the Redwood Forest at least ten times, while Yosemite, to which I’ve only been twice, is the exact same distance from my parent’s house. Though I love both, I must enjoy the forest more.

I also feel the same about my preferences in information types; I always choose the one I can control the most. Labels are easy to breeze through, quickly skip around and reread multiple times. Audio, video and tour guides act on a fixed timeline which usually inhibits fast repeats and the ability to skip around. A tour guide is nice in that you can get supplemental information, however, a tour guide is usually for a group situation where consistent question asking is not always an option. Tour guides also have to provide information for all interest types, there’s nothing I hate more than taking a tour where I’ve learned nothing new.

At Discovery World I found the most interesting exhibits to be the cut out machines and the giant Great Lakes model. Being able to see how gears and other mechanical objects work with the addition of being able to control the rate at which they function makes learning more fun and thus more effective. The Great Lakes model was interesting because of its use of height and city placement. The model had a very different feel than a two-dimensional map and was more effective at showing elevation. It was also fun to feel like a giant.

No comments:

Post a Comment