Monday, June 20, 2011

JordanO_R09

In response to reading number nine, which was more of looking at info graphics than a reading is that there is great need for information to be presented without the use of words. The tricky part is, without words steps can be confusing and misinterpreted without prior background knowledge. It takes a really good design to help someone understand something completely foreign without words. This is no simple task and challenges you as a designer to convey information in the right way. In the case of these examples I will state what I think is not working effectively and how I would improve upon them.


Example 1: Hanging a picture frame


The first thing that I notice when looking at this info graphic is that I could be easily misread. The red dashed line going from left to right makes your eye want to skip from step 1 to step 3 automatically. I see that they are trying to show you that you are using this to line up the top of the frame level on the wall but this connection could be confusing and defiantly could be demonstrated in another way. As far as negative feedback that is all of have for this info graphic. I think that this is a good method for hanging a picture frame and the rest is pretty much self-explanatory.


Example 2: The bike


In this example I am lost all together as to the point of this graphic. Is this the proper position to get the most out of riding you bike? Is it for comfort? Is this for fitting? I am not sure and I think this is definitely and example of the need for prior background information to understand this graphic. I do like how this graphic is laid out. It is a nice piece of design and the relationships all make sense to me. I am just unclear of its purpose.


Example 3: Rolling a cigarette


I think that all of the pieces are here in this info graphic. The steps make sense and the subject is clear. The one thing that I would like to see changed in this graphic is the addition of one step. There is no sense of tucking the paper or pressure that is to be added when rolling the cigarette. I think that the graphic makes this process seem very easy when if fact it is fairly complex. So the addition of a symbol of step that could help define the process in depth more could be a needed addition.


Example 4: Changing a Baby


In this example I see two methods of changing a baby. The old school way and the new school way. I think that almost everyone can get an idea of what is to be done in both cases and the new diapers almost make this idiot proof to begin with. The facial expressions of the baby are a bit distracting though and attention to this detail could help this be more effective. The expression on the baby’s face as it stands is unnecessary chart junk at the moment and leaves the final step seemed unresolved in my opinion.


Example 5: Changing a flat tire


This is the diagram that I have to most problems with. Where is the jack supposed to be placed? Dose everyone have the same type of jack or tools to be used in this case? And is everyone’s spare tire always located in the trunk? I know from experience that these are many variables that are unexplained in this diagram. Someone with no previous experience would have a lot of trouble if only have this diagram as his or her basic knowledge. These are the most basic problems I have with is design. This design is wonderful in graphic nature as well as the rest of these info graphics but lacks information for users without previous knowledge. To resolve this I think that steps need to be added to make this more understandable to anyone changing a flat with no previous experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment