Monday, June 20, 2011

EmilyW.R11

Saul Carliners Reflections on Museums 2: What Museums Cost Visitors—and Lessons for Information Architects and Information Designers was much more informing than the other blog post. I learned about museum costs and memberships. I didn't really think about that in depth before. It is interesting how I just take museum fees for granted and pay them without questioning, when if I was prompted to pay to enter a website I would be turned off by that and proceed to a free one.

Carliners juxtaposition of museums and websites was very insightful. Being one of those people with income limitations I would be sad if every website had a fee to enter it. As a society I think a lot of people would feel the same way and it would be hard for websites to charge fees. However, slowly I think this will become more and more prevalent. I think it is fair especially because there is a lot of work behind building a website and keeping in maintained and someone who puts that amount of work into something should be able to generate some revenue, but it also sucks for people like me who have to budget every penny. We will look back with longing on the days of free internet when information was available to all. And maybe this again will build an even wider gap between the classes in society. Again people with access to money will be the ones with access to information and education, setting them farther and farther ahead of those who are less fortunate.

Using museums as a comparison for the internet and different websites is a helpful analogy for people that want to create a system of websites that can still be competitive with other free ones but also make some money. As a designer maybe someday I can use this to help me make some money so I can pay to use the websites I create. ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment