Friday, June 17, 2011

Kate+D+R11

I think Saul provided some interesting points for though in his article about museum costs and it was interesting to see his comparison of museum costs around the world. I’ve traveled to museums in England and France but since it was part of a school trip the museum costs were covered in the price of the trip and I never paid attention to the listed price. It makes sense that museums such as The Louvre would charge a higher price considering the scale of art it houses. I go to the Milwaukee Art Museum frequently and I think the most I’ve ever had to pay for it was $4 as a student price. Come to think of it, I’ve never had a membership to the art museum outside of a school membership. When Saul touches on the idea of charging for information that’s when things start to get touchy. How much information sharing can you charge for? Websites are easily accessible for free information so when certain sites decide to place a fee on their information people can get turned away and turn their search elsewhere. Pretty much any information is available via Google for free. I do like the idea of an Internet “ticket package” that allows you to visit several participating sites and use their information in an allowed time slot. Particularly for online news publications and periodicals this is a good idea. Many news sources still have a full publishing of their daily paper online. Saul brings up many good points in this article about topics I do not think about on a daily basis and brings a new perspective to museums and the way they operate.

No comments:

Post a Comment