Sunday, June 19, 2011

AndreaLRO11

The cost of museum entrance can obviously greatly control who and who cannot see the museum. When I was going to to these museums for the class assignment I asked a few people if they wanted to accompany me. The first thing they responded with was "how much does it cost?". I am a poor college student, and so are all my friends. Randomly dropping lots of money on something like a museum especially ones that are marketed towards mostly children is not especially desirable. Normal admission for adults in Discovery World was about 17 dollars. For students it was about 10, and I was required to show my UWM identification. While looking through the exhibit, I kept feeling like, well I paid 10 dollars to be here I better get a look at everything. So while fees can be hindering, they also keep the viewers focused and make sure they have a real desire to be there.
Everyone knows going on a "free day" at a museum will be a huge free-for-all of people and the museum will be way to crowded and potentially full of children. Something I admittedly do not enjoy.
I've never been to museums in Europe but it was interesting to hear about them in this article. Getting the passes for several museums seems like too much pressure to me. Trying to rush through museums and seeing several in a day sounds like it would take the fun out of museum trips completely. If you go to a museum you have to really want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment