Sunday, June 19, 2011

ANdreaLRO10

This article focused on some points that I was thinking about during the museum trips, specifically the trip I took to Discovery World. People go to museums because they are interesting in certain subjects. It's easy to watch yourself float around a museum and only sticking to the exhibits that interest you. Museum are supposed to be fun, so focusing on something that is too confusing or that doesn't cater to your interests in any way just does not make sense.
At Discovery World there were a lot of involved and text heavy exhibits. Most people looked at them and kept moving. Very few individuals want to stand and read huge statements, especially in a crowded museum. I think for someone to seriously go through every exhibit and comprehend what they were all about, it would take like 12 hours. I'm not sure if the museum is designed with the knowledge that everything is not going to be looked at. If it is, I think that's kind of strange. Is some knowledge more valuable than others?
The article also raised the issue of problems with computer touch screens as part of the exhibits. I think the most awkward part of using the screens is how few of them there are. With a huge crowd in and area and 3 touch screens, it is uncomfortable. It's not worth waiting to use one so it's best to just move on. During my trip to discovery world I just watched some kids play with "Tic Tac Toe George" rather than actually play myself. I was too crowded with kids to even bother waiting around to do it myself. Making aspects of museums that can only be used by one or two people at a time doesn't work out very well. Maybe some sort of hand held tablet with a touch screen that museum goers could use while walking through would work better. Like an audio tour telephone. But, something like that opens a whole slew of new and more difficult problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment