Wednesday, June 22, 2011

KarenR_R12

An End to Modernity and the other sculptures like it by Josiah McElheny are all beautiful representations of space and time. An End to Modernity was my favorite. The density of the rods with the reflective ball in the middle really makes it feel like it is expanding. All of these sculptures are to depict the universe in different states of its evolution. They are beautiful works of art. If I were to see them without having read this essay, I would never know the reasoning for the specific forms, but I still believe I would be able to correlate the forms to outer space. However, I would not classify this as an info graphic. It is beautiful, but it does not present any hardcore facts or communicate any information. Without a detailed explanation like this essay, I would not have been aware of all the research and calculations that went into making these. It is ambitious to attempt to represent the whole universe in one sculpture, or a few. It is impossible not to lose the scale of it all. The size, the vastness, simply cannot be captured. If these sculptures were bigger, change inches to feet in the measurements, I believe the effect would be greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment