Wednesday, June 22, 2011

JenniferL_R09

For this reading we were presented with multiple instructional graphics. The first one regarding hanging a frame I thought was successful in delivering its directions. I actually used to intern at an art gallery and have personal experience hanging frames. It is a lot harder than people realize, especially when you need to hang multiple frames at the exact same height so they line up. One show involved multiple artists and all of their works were framed differently. It was very hard to get them to all sit with their top edges aligned. It took a lot of trial and error along with plenty of pencil marks on the gallery wall. This simple technique involving measuring the depth of the hanging cord with a piece of paper would have greatly helped us hang this show! I guess I enjoyed this graphic the most compared to the others because it was about a topic that you wouldn't really expect to need directions for. I don't think I remember ever buying a frame that came with hanging directions. This information is kind of common sense, but I could have really used it when I worked for that gallery show. I think a great website idea would be a site where you could search for random, usually considered "useless," information. I think all the other graphics including the bike, cigarette papers, diapers, and the flat tire were images that I expected to exist because they contain more complicated ideas. I'm not sure if these graphics contain all the necessary information but I understand why someone tried to make them. The picture frame one was the black sheep or the unexpected one of the bunch, which is probably why I was more drawn to it. I think this idea of having an "unexpected" factor in every day design is something to think about if you're trying to draw attention to a piece of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment