Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Specht.N.R0304




Personal Timeline

For my personal timeline I decided to gather information on the places and people I’ve lived with over the past five years while in college at UW-Milwaukee. Some of the more notable differences that I wanted to take not of are the varying numbers of roommates, gender, orientation, means of transportation etc. In my sketches I also draw sketches of the buildings themselves from memory, as well as heavily traveled paths from the home location (generally work/friends houses/ school). Another item that’s missing in the tables is the relationship of the roommates to one another, either in the past or present. I found this to be difficult to portray in a linear fashion since that’s not how any of these people met one another. Lastly, the reasons for why each roommates either moves in or out is omitted from the tables, since I felt like it wouldn’t fit in that structure. I’ll make sure to post my sketches to the blog once I find the sketchbook I drew them in!

Narrate Space and Time

The Tufte’s reading on narrative on space and time definitely hit home since I’ve tried to make sense of “space data” graphically before…I had trouble placing the data into an actually tangible space and in the most accurate way possible which includes lots and lots of math. Luckily Galileo existed and charted Jupiter so we didn’t have to. The modern version of the planet orbits was done in a minimalist fashion with as little noise as possible. The original Galileo versions however still attempted to plot similar information but made more artist choices for whatever reasons. The maps are rendered to look machine-like and even have contrasting typefaces. The reading goes on to discuss the continuous need to practice good typesetting by creating visual hierarchies with a purpose. It ends with the investigation of the correlation of William Playfair’s treatment of information graphics to writing music. At their very core both the information and music connotations act as two different means of telling a story. Playfair’s method of breaking above the grid is similar to that of a note above a staff but also acts as a means to create visual drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment