Friday, June 10, 2011

Andrew+M+R07

The placebo effect is strong within the UWM advising department; in fact, the department itself is one big placebo. In keeping track of my progress I have a degree worksheet that my adviser and I go over as a checklist for graduation. This review consists of a comparison of my transcript to the worksheet, a process I do myself with the two resources I already have access to.

This might lead you to say that the adviser is there to also answer questions about classes, and they do. Every adviser I’ve had has done an excellent job at reading verbatim, the course descriptions located on the UWM website, the same descriptions that are visible when browsing the class catalog and is the source of confusion.

You might also say that an adviser can help with transfer students in explaining how their credits will transfer, and you’d be hallowly correct again. My adviser has been a tremendous help in referring me to a professor who teaches an equivalent class at UWM.

The advising department seems to exist as a placebo in being a place of actual answers and exists more as a place of where to go next to find answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment