Sunday, June 12, 2011

AndreaLR06

I laughed out loud when I read the first part of this essay. Whenever I'm walking around the city with my friends and someone pushes the "walk" button at a cross walk I always shout about how there is no way those things have any affect on the traffic lights, they are just to calm you down. I'm excited there was so much truth in my cynicism!
I think the idea that something "might" be affective is motivation enough for us to do something. The two previous houses I have lived in both had security company stickers on the window but no trace of any alarm systems. I think the idea of them scaring people away was an affective way to give piece of mind to myself and my roommates. As for it's ability to deter criminals I'm unsure of, but we never got robbed!
I some-what obsessively take certain herbal supplements. The research on some of them is limited, but the idea that they may actually be helping me in the long run is promise enough for me to spend money. Taking milk thistle, which is supposed to help liver function, makes me feel better after a hard night of drinking, even though it's actual affect isn't very concrete.
I think in our world it's really easy to worry and be far to anxious about everything. Pushing buttons and creating pretend protection can calm us down. Even though I'm aware the "walk" button by the crosswalk near my house seems to do nothing, I push it every time I'm by myself and I need to cross the street, I seriously can't help it. What if it really DOES make the light change faster?

No comments:

Post a Comment